Monday, October 7, 2013

Theme

Prepro for our board games is finally here! I must say that I'm very excited to build my own board game. One of the first steps was to decide upon an overall theme for our game.

Theme: Lust for Power; Power Corrupts
Motifs: Countering an opponent, hindering an/or disrupting an opponents movement on the board, spells and/or runes of power
Concept statement: "Satisfy your lust for power."

The theme for my board game is an ever-growing lust for power. The reason I chose this theme is because the main objective in my game is based around a tome of knowledge, or a object of immense power. Basically you play as an Explorer or some sort of Grand Mage (I haven't decided yet) navigating through the halls of a Grand Library, trying to reach its center. Along the way you use you power to disrupt opponents to guarantee you will be the first to enter.

Research:

Theme: Lust for Power; Power Corrupts

The theme I'm going for in my board game is actually quite popular in modern cinema. A great example of the lust for power theme is in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. 

  • The ring has a corrupting influence and is synonymous for power.
  •  The ring holds attraction for many, but noone is able to "possess" it.  
  • The ring cannot be controlled or tamed.
Its interesting because everyone who possess the ring is ultimately corrupted by it. This even goes for the "good" hero in the film, Frodo.


Color Palette Possibilities 

Here are a few colors palettes I have been messing around with. My inspiration comes from World of Warcraft. I love Blizzard use of color specially in Sunwell Plateau and Black Temple. Overall the color palette for Burning Crusade as a whole was pretty awesome.


Examples:





No comments:

Post a Comment